Sign-up for FREE Updates.


The Kohl that Smudged

Brown eyes smudged in kohl
the remains of ungodly hours
betray the pain
bespeak the torturous journey
of one more night
of lying pliant
while he pumped away
through her trepidations
animatedly.

I resist and push him away most of the night. I wonder if he's even aware of doing it. There is no escape in the morning, I realise, as he finds my lips and kisses me. There I go again in another sojourn of pretence that will last for God knows how long. I feel no desire and yet, there I am covering up all that I feel by making an effort at responding. His hands roam all over my body, demanding and satisfied, not stopping even once to ask if I am interested or if it's okay with me. I loathe the touch. I stare at the ceiling trying as much as I can to not think of what is happening. Yet, it is my body I am talking about.

My mind has travelled miles away. I stand afar and watch, determined to go through it as my husband makes love to me. Love? My brain is screaming and telling him to go away some place far and I lie silent. I try hard to keep the tears from coming to my eyes. The futility of it all is too much to bear and as the minutes go by, tears well up in my eyes. I avoid his eyes and moan to keep him from looking at me. How well do I know him and how well I know the tears won't bother him as long as he can hear me moan.

I win.

He sees them, perhaps, feels the whole act has overwhelmed me. He is satisfied. That finishes the matter does it?

It all seems unreal and yet I can feel the pain of it all in me. I do not find myself in me. There I am, lying on the bed, my husband on me, staring at the ceiling, at the fan, almost indifferent, at the speed with which it is spinning against the pale black ceiling. He slumps on me, exhausted and here's another day ahead of me, filled with ache of pretending and living this way. The tears refuse to go. Agony gives way to anger and I cannot think of any way to explain the way I feel deep inside.

A sadness unsurpassed.

The phone rings, the doorbell rings. Its Nirmala Bai at the door. I drag myself out of bed, walk towards the door.

I can hear him humming as he shaves.

Picture Courtesy - Google Images
Copyright@Sandy 2001

10 comments so far..What are your thoughts?

  1. Absolutely brilliant post, awesome...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you @Sulekkha - an extract from the reality.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I missed you so much Sandy,please do keep on writing...and this story..only you can do this...love u always.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful post.... I'm imagining every word that you say and it just tickles me..... Thank you for writing this...:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Alpana - I love you sweetie! This one was easy to write. What one goes through, comes through.

    @Souvik - Thank you! Yea, real for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. the words u put in are vibrant. reading ur story gives the feel of a shuttlecock hit at the centre by a racket. striker striked it well, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you @fantacy @jorie @pro

    ReplyDelete
  8. As Alpana said only you can write like this....awesome story :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Abhisek - a slice of my life is there!

    ReplyDelete

Copyright Notice

This site, the articles and the graphics on this website are © by We Have A Story and are protected by DMCA.Reproduction in whole or in part,whether on paper,on the internet,on CD-ROM or any other medium,including utilization in machines capable of reproduction without our permission is illegal and strictly prohibited.

Some photos used by our authors in their articles are from Google image search or some other sources which they like.If you think they used any copyrighted photograph,drop us an e-mail with the details and we will remove it immediately.
Recommend us!

Join We Have A Story

Recent Stories

Add to Technorati Favorites
Powered by Blogger.

Grab Our Badge

Badge Partners







When The Heart Speaks