Sign-up for FREE Updates.


Layered Cake of Love


Of all the myriad topics of love, the one that haunts me to the core is the sheer limitation of the word… It’s like a giant trying to get into an ant’s shoe. Not possible. When I say love – a world of emotions come together in different hues - they break me, lift me, drop me, caress me and whip me all at once. I hear my voice screaming “focus!! Identify where in the totem pole your love is and then proceed with caution”.
So that’s what I am doing now – identifying.  Its Valentine’s Day soon and so the love described here should be (in popular belief) about lovers. And what a beautiful love that is!!! The love of trust, sex, belief, togetherness, lifetimes shared together, walks in the beach, roses, misunderstandings, children, old age, companionship, table for twos, dim-lights, thorns, tears, sacrifices, familiarity, comfort, pain ….  Not necessarily in that order. A life shared together in a nutshell - a life that ends with knowing the birth of every minute wrinkle on your lover, and the expertise of quickly being able to erase them, to bring back memories of youthful love and titillating excitement.  Then again maybe none of the above but still lovers forever – even soul mates.
Once upon a time, in a not so faraway place, there lived a girl who was blinded by the love she harbored for a much elder man in her village.  She spied on him when he toiled in the sun, working on his land with his cows and plough. The smell of his perspiration and boiling blood infused the damp soil and the atmosphere with the kind of intoxication that was only known to her. Jamuni, kept the secret of her desirous love only to herself. When at times their eyes met – she would feign innocence and behave like a child, who was mesmerized by the power of muscles. Kishan would nod at her and go home for an afternoon of love and rest with his wife. Jamuni would wait endlessly for another opportunity to catch a whiff of that pulsating air.
Days turned into night and nights into days till the time came for Jamuni to get married. Her parents had found a “suitable” man for her and the day of the wedding was finalized. Jamuni bravely accepted her fate and played the part of a shy young girl for the world. Till one day she was cornered by Jai, her husband to be.  “Jamuni, I know where you heart is,” he said. She didn’t dare respond in case her voice gave her away.  “I know it will never be mine. But I am selfish. I am happy to be a part of your life even if you will never be a part of mine.” Jamuni’s stinging eyes could hold the tears no more but her turning away only exposed her love and pain a little more.  The blood running through her veins turned cold and her legs gave way. Jai caught her before she hit the ground, their eyes met and there was an immediate understanding. They hugged in urgent embrace till the weight of their sacrifice penetrated their skins and took up a bitter sweet place, forfeited by reason in their heads, leaving little space for anything else but the rulings of the heart.
The day they got married, both bowed down to take the blessing of Kishan – and he blessed unaware of the magnanimity of his role in their relationship. His wife embraced the new couple and whispered good wishes into their ears. And so the union was formalized.
It is said, just a fortnight later, Kishan and his wife were hit by a bus while going to town. He had died on spot while his wife had become paralyzed for life. There was no one in the world to take care of an invalid woman. She had little family who were prompt to make excuses of financial hardships among other things. She was 45 years of age then. Now she is 73. Jamuni and Jai still look after her - taking care of her minutest needs, taking her to all her check ups and going the world around to look for a cure - all this at the complete amazement of all around them.
On one inky blue night, Jai and Jamuni sat on their jute cot outside, enjoying the moonlight as she was heard telling him “he lives in her – I have finally got a chance to love him.” Jai smiled and said “I love you”. She smiled back and said “Thank you and I love you”. 
Hope I was able to explain the layers of love to you my dear reader. Love is tricky – ‘I love you’ will never be enough to express what is in the heart. Words are just letters – read the heart.
On a lighter note - Nirvana’s ‘Come as you are’ is one of my favorite tracks on love. But in quotidian life when I say “come as you are” I don’t mean it. I mean “wear that shirt to go with that tie and please be a friend.” When I say “leave me alone”, I mean “please don’t go anywhere”. When I say “whatever”, I mean “specifically this or that”. That is what most women are made of – riddles. We absolutely love to take our man on a roller coaster ride and leave him hanging in the air and of course we still love him. In a way I guess that is the problem. If you were not on my black book as ‘lover’ – I would leave you alone – but you are hooked my friend.  That reminds me – If I told you your love is everything to me even on Valentine’s Day – it doesn’t mean you can go without giving me a little something special (APART FROM YOUR LOVE)

27 comments so far..What are your thoughts?

  1. Kriti,first of all welcome to 'WE HAVE A STORY'.The two of us has have shared some wonderful memories together...and I am sure it will be the same here.As usual,a beautiful post... A life shared together in a nutshell - a life that ends with knowing the birth of every minute wrinkle on your lover, and the expertise of quickly being able to erase them, to bring back memories of youthful love and titillating excitement. Then again maybe none of the above but still lovers forever – even soul mates...nothing can be more beautiful than this...will look forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Words are just letters – read the heart.....nice line.As usual very nice and interesting post Kriti :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks a ton Abhishek and ALpana... I am so glad you liked my piece - yay!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is one of the best love stories I have ever read. Makes you smile like all love stories should :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Found it interesting. But depth could have been more. Nevertheless enjoyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Satwinder - appreciate your feedback - maybe you have some truth there : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mitr, You constantly amaze me with your wealth of knowledge and understanding of love. What an affectionate tale of true love, "He lives in her", is so profound....wow...loved your layered cake..thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks a ton my darling Mitr - knew you would like this one : ) You are awesome yourself : )

    ReplyDelete
  9. Roy - thank you very much...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for the words.. Your special person is very lucky. I always enjoy your post. Love is so personal it is almost impossible to explain
    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is so true Jim - impossible to explain! Thanks a ton for dropping by... and more so for the compliment ...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I remember when back in school we used to talk and gossip and giggle about this really old couple. One was a priest and the other a divorcee, we couldn't stop talking about how amoral the whole thing was...as I grew I understood that we were being sooo stupid and insensitive. There is no black or white in love, beautifully written. Loved it!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is lovely! I enjoyed it so much.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful indeed. Kriti has very lovingly brought the two poles of love, the negative and the positive, on a single platform; that in any case is the very purpose of meeting of hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  15. @Swati - I know the one you are talking about - love is so complicated yet such a simple emotion @Ardith - thanks a ton! @ Tapas - that was the intention - glad you could see it : ) - Thanks a ton!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Kriti - very well expressed - both the simplicity & the complexity of the emotions!! The story of Jamuna will stay with me for a while! Keep writing - this is a towering strength for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautifully written story, where a husband respects her his wife's love towards kishan and helps his wife to take care of kishan's Wife

    ReplyDelete
  18. You expressed all the layers of love beautifully. Awesome, awesome, awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  19. @ Ronita - thank you thank you thank you!!! Sweepy - as usual - the fact that you like it means a whole lot to me @ Kiran - exactly those are the layers - thank you for stopping by : )

    ReplyDelete
  20. Kriti, awesome. So true about reading the heart but the heart is so full of layers too and difficult to read. We say something and mean something. I loved it. Poignat story about Jamuni, Jai and Kishan. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Rimly thanks a ton for stopping by - so glad you liked it : )

    ReplyDelete
  22. Kriti,

    This is awesome! I cried,I smiled, I understand. Simply beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I finally got a chance to read this and my dear Kriti - it was amazing. Loved how you described the life changing confrontation . Love,indeed, works in mysterious ways!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I finally got a chance to read this and my dear Kriti - it was amazing. Loved how you described the life changing confrontation . Love,indeed, works in mysterious ways!

    ReplyDelete
  25. @ Diana - that's what the emotion does I guess - thanks a ton for stopping by... @ Prats - yes it does. Love that you came by....

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love has so many definitions and this post added a lot to it! Very interesting!

    ReplyDelete

Copyright Notice

This site, the articles and the graphics on this website are © by We Have A Story and are protected by DMCA.Reproduction in whole or in part,whether on paper,on the internet,on CD-ROM or any other medium,including utilization in machines capable of reproduction without our permission is illegal and strictly prohibited.

Some photos used by our authors in their articles are from Google image search or some other sources which they like.If you think they used any copyrighted photograph,drop us an e-mail with the details and we will remove it immediately.
Recommend us!

Join We Have A Story

Recent Stories

Add to Technorati Favorites
Powered by Blogger.

Grab Our Badge

Badge Partners







When The Heart Speaks